We are delighted to announce that the WHPC Affiliates Pilot Programme is now underway!
We have welcomed the following groups and organizations to be part of WHPC and test out our new programme.
- Women@NCSA (USA),
- Calcul Québec (Canada)
- PRACE (Europe)
What is a WHPC AFFILIATE?
An affiliate, is similar to a WHPC chapter, in that it is a community-level group that serves a specific area or organisation and fulfils the WHPC mission locally. However, we recognise that not all groups and organisations are suited for creating chapters.
Affiliates may be on their way to being a Chapter or be an organisation which doesn’t directly employ HPC professionals and therefore does not have the local community necessary for a Chapter. For example, an Affiliate may be engaged in providing HPC services or similar, but they do not have a community of women within the organisation itself that they would directly support if they were a chapter. Instead, an affiliate may be active in promoting the vision and mission of WHPC outside their organisation.
Affiliates are formed by individuals or an organization who want to support women in their communities. Having identified regional needs and resources, they determine the activities that would benefit their organisation or group. Each affiliate is responsible for its own fundraising efforts, programmes, relationships, volunteers and so on.
To date, we have three WHPC Affiliates across Europe and North America.
What you need to consider before starting becoming a WHPC Affiliate
Becoming an Affiliate of WHPC is an exciting and rewarding experience but also a serious endeavour. You will become a valued member of an internationally-renowned volunteer driven organisation, gaining access to a wide variety of resources, expertise and support from WHPC and chapters around the world.
A few things to bear in mind before starting:
- You must be passionate and committed to WHPC’s vision and mission.
- While being an Affiliate is not as much work as being a WHPC Chapter, the time and energy spent on maintaining an Affiliate’s activities are significant, something for which you must be prepared.
- Starting as a WHPC Affiliate is a great way to build the community you will need to form a Chapter at a later date and will give you support and credit for your efforts while you buid your local community.
Benefits and responsibilities
All WHPC Affiliates:
- are separately organised groups of volunteers that have their own management team raise their own funds. While some are sponsored by larger agencies, Affiliates are independent of each other and from WHPC;
- have their own goals as an Affiliate that help to fulfil the mission of WHPC to recruit and retain a diverse and inclusive HPC workforce;
- are members of WHPC and therefore must abide by the WHPC Terms of Reference and policies;
- have the right to use the name “WHPC Affiliate” and logo as approved by WHPC; and
- may implement or participate in our programmes and campaigns.
The Application Process
Want to submit an application? Note that we are not currently accepting new applications, but please come back in early 2019 once the Pilot Programme has finished.
The general process is as follows:
- Before emailing us, check to see whether there is an Affiliate or Chapter in your organisation already. While we encourage Affiliates of different sizes to be formed within the same area we rarely authorise an application for a new affiliate in overlapping regions if the groups are not in contact with each other first. This helps to ensure that activities are complementary rather than competitive.
- If your location fits the above criteria, request the application form (details available in early 2019). You will receive the form within two weeks. WHPC will review the information you have provided within 8 weeks and determine if you should move to Affiliate status.
- Successful applicants will be asked to provide a logo and contact information to be shared on the WHPC website.
- WHPC Affiliates will be asked to provide periodic updates on their activities and to renew their membership from time to time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does WHPC provide funding to Chapters?
No. Each Affiliate is separately responsible for funding their activities. Therefore, each Affiliate is expected to raise all of the monies necessary for its launch and operations. As part of the WHPC family, however, you will benefit from the strength of our global reputation and brand, which will be instrumental in your fundraising and publicity efforts.
For an application, please contact us.