The National Center for Computational Sciences (NCCS) at Oak Ridge National Lab (ORNL), which hosts several of the world’s most powerful computer systems, is seeking highly qualified individuals to play a key role in improving the security, performance, and reliability of the NCCS computing environments. This includes supporting two of the fastest supercomputers in the world, Frontier and Summit, along with numerous commodity clusters and specialized programs. Frontier and Summit are two of the scientific research community’s most powerful computational tools for exploring solutions to some of today’s most challenging problems.
As a Senior HPC Linux Systems Engineer, you will work within the HPC Scalable Systems Group inside of the NCCS Systems Section to support numerous activities of the center.
The HPC Scalable Systems Group administers and supports system installation, deployment, acceptance, performance testing, upgrades, problem diagnosis, and troubleshooting of HPC computational resources.
The Systems Section is within the National Center for Computational Sciences Division (NCCS). The HPC Systems Section administers and supports the division’s computing, networking, and storage systems.
The NCCS provides state-of-the-art computational and data science infrastructure, coupled with dedicated technical and scientific professionals, to accelerate scientific discovery and engineering advances across a broad range of disciplines. NCCS hosts the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility, one of DOE’s National User Facilities.
Installing, configuring, and maintaining computer system software
Diagnosing system operational problems quickly and effectively
Coordinating with vendors to resolve hardware and software problems
Recommending, planning, and coordinating hardware and software changes with customer participation using change management processes
Porting and writing system management tools
Providing reliable and efficient backups/restores for all managed systems
Setting up and maintaining host and network-based security of the NCCS resources
Documenting system administration procedures for routine and complex tasks
Participating in a 24-hour, 7-day on-call support rotation and off-hours maintenance windows
The position is also responsible for system implementation/integration into the NCCS environment and systems performance analysis.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a scientific or technical field
- 8+ years of Unix/Linux systems experience is required
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- Extensive experience managing Unix/Linux operating systems in a large-scale system environment
- Solid understanding of networked computing environment concepts
- Strong leadership skills
- Experience with the Cray X-series platform
- Experience with IBM Power platform
- Ability to develop and maintain programs and scripts that aid in the operation and automation of administrative tasks using various shell and scripting languages (bash, Perl, Python)
- Experience with Lustre and GPFS file systems
- Experience with batch schedulers (particularly LSF and SLURM)
- C-Programming and porting experience
- Experience with automated and/or diskless installation methods (xCAT, HPCM)
- Experience deploying and maintaining automated configuration management software such as CFEngine or Puppet
- Experience with open source system monitoring solutions such as Nagios
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work as a team player
- Proactive and solution-oriented problem solver
- Prior project and/or team leadership experience
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
Benefits at ORNL:
ORNL offers competitive pay and benefits programs to attract and retain talented people. The laboratory offers many employee benefits, including medical and retirement plans and flexible work hours, to help you and your family live happy and healthy. Employee amenities such as on-site fitness, banking, and cafeteria facilities are also provided for convenience.
Other benefits include:
Prescription Drug Plan, Dental Plan, Vision Plan, 401(k) Retirement Plan, Contributory Pension Plan, Life Insurance, Disability Benefits, Generous Vacation and Holidays, Parental Leave, Legal Insurance with Identity Theft Protection, Employee Assistance Plan, Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts, Wellness Programs, Educational Assistance, Relocation Assistance, and Employee Discounts.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.