The HPC Custers Group in the National Center of Computational Sciences Division (NCCS) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is seeking a highly motivated, customer-centric, and operationally minded individual to serve as Technical Project Lead to provide support to HPC initiatives supporting collaborative research projects with external partners.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
You will work closely with the line management of NCCS to manage the milestones of the research, development, and production projects within the group to support division efforts. You will manage the scope, schedule, and cost of the various projects within the constraints of the available resources and the operational environment. You will have a direct interface with the project/program sponsor and department oversight personnel, responding to requests for information, reporting on progress, leading review meetings, and generating regular sponsor reports. You will champion new initiatives and lead strategic planning activities to enhance and grow the HPC portfolio. Additional interfaces will be with principal investigators, project controls, and financial management.
This position’s responsibility will include:
- Promote a safety-first oriented culture of continuous improvement
- Provide project and technical oversight, in collaboration with division and directorate leadership, to strategically advance the HPC portfolio at ORNL
- Establish and communicate milestones and goals to technical leadership, and participate in planning to ensure that the executed work aligns with the scope, schedule, and budget
- Interface with the directorate operations staff to plan and optimize the utilization of resources
- Provide leadership and mentoring to technical contributors, to support their growth as engineering contributors
- Build strong teams across ORNL and identify opportunities for collaboration between program sponsors
- Experience working with sensitive and protected data; OUO, PHI, HIPAA, ITAR
- Communicate and collaborate with other partners and vendors supporting the HPC program
- Identify and help develop new projects and initiatives that leverage ORNL facilities and resources
- Develop and monitor project risk register and develop proactive steps to mitigate risk
- Exemplify a commitment to “One ORNL” by modeling lab expectations for excellence in research, operations, and community engagement, and by working cooperatively to leverage capabilities across the lab
- M.S.degree and a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience or a B.S. degree and 8+ years of relevant technical experience. Degree area should be in Computer Science or a related technical field
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in project management, for research and development within a large, multiprogram environment
- Demonstrated experience leading multi-functional teams
- Familiarity with project management tools such as Microsoft Project
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with proven ability to successfully interact with internal and external project stakeholders.
- Proven ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever-changing needs.
- A strong understanding of and application experience with the principles of project management
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- Experience translating projects from research and development to the operations environment
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse Program (WSAP) testing designed position that requires passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program in which employees are subject to being randomly selected for testing. The occupant of this position will also be subject to an ongoing requirement to report to ORNL any drug-related arrest or conviction or receipt of a positive drug test result.
Benefits at ORNL:
ORNL offers competitive pay and benefits programs to attract and retain talented people. The laboratory offers many employee benefits, including medical and retirement plans and flexible work hours, to help you and your family live happy and healthy. Employee amenities such as on-site fitness, banking, and cafeteria facilities are also provided for convenience.
Other benefits include: Prescription Drug Plan, Dental Plan, Vision Plan, 401(k) Retirement Plan, Contributory Pension Plan, Life Insurance, Disability Benefits, Generous Vacation and Holidays, Parental Leave, Legal Insurance with Identity Theft Protection, Employee Assistance Plan, Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts, Wellness Programs, Educational Assistance, Relocation Assistance, and Employee Discounts.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.