The National Center for Computational Sciences (NCCS) at Oak Ridge National Lab (ORNL), which hosts several of the world’s most powerful computer systems, is seeking highly qualified individuals to play a key role in improving the security, performance, and reliability of the NCCS computing infrastructure which supports multiple highly ranked Top500 Supercomputers, including the world’s first exaflop system, Frontier.
As an HPC Linux Systems Engineer you will work in the Infrastructure team within the HPC Infrastructure and Networking group to support all activities of our supercomputer center.
- Work with the team to define and implement best practices and standards within the organization
- Automate systems administration tasks utilizing open source configuration management tools
- Design, build and maintain HPC-scale Linux-based services
- Tune operating systems and applications to increase performance and reliability of services
- Diagnose system operational problems quickly and effectively
- Document system administration procedures for routine and complex tasks
- Participate in an on-call rotation providing 24-hour, 7-day support and off-hours maintenance windows
- Coordinate with vendors to resolve hardware and software problems
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or closely related field and a minimum of 5 years of experience in Linux/UNIX Systems Administration or a Master’s Degree in in computer science or closely related field and a minimum of 4 years of experience in Linux/UNIX Systems Administration.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse program (WSAP) testing designed position which requires passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program in which employees are subject to being randomly selected for testing. The occupant of this position will also be subject to an ongoing requirement to report to ORNL any drug-related arrest or conviction or receipt of a positive drug test result.
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills, and the ability to work as part of a team
- Strong working knowledge of Unix system fundamentals and common network protocols
- Experience managing Linux/UNIX operating systems in a heterogeneous environment.
- Solid understanding of networked computing environment concepts
- Ability to develop and maintain programs and scripts that aid in the operation and automation of administrative tasks using various shell and scripting languages (primarily bash and Python, some Go)
- Ability to identify requirements and to define, plan, and implement requisite solutions
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize tasks, and complete assigned projects with minimal supervision
- Experience with continuous integration and continuous deployment software methodologies and how they apply to systems engineering
- An understanding of code review and familiarity with tools like GitHub and GitLab
- Experience using tools such as Grafana and Nagios to monitor systems, metrics, and create dashboards
- Experience designing and implement highly-available systems/services
- Experience participating in an open source community with patches accepted upstream
- Experience deploying and maintaining automated configuration management software such as Puppet or Ansible
- Experience building custom packages for RHEL/CentOS using RPM
- Experience deploying and maintaining virtualized environments using VMWare
- Experience installing, maintaining and troubleshooting, Postfix, OpenLDAP, NetApp filers, VMware, Puppet/Ansible, Git, Scripting (Python, Bash, Go)
- Experience implementing systems-level security technologies like SELinux and following security best-practices
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply.
Benefits at ORNL:
ORNL offers competitive pay and benefits programs to attract and retain talented people. The laboratory offers many employee benefits, including medical and retirement plans and flexible work hours, to help you and your family live happy and healthy. Employee amenities such as on-site fitness, banking, and cafeteria facilities are also provided for convenience.
Other benefits include:
Prescription Drug Plan, Dental Plan, Vision Plan, 401(k) Retirement Plan, Contributory Pension Plan, Life Insurance, Disability Benefits, Generous Vacation and Holidays, Parental Leave, Legal Insurance with Identity Theft Protection, Employee Assistance Plan, Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts, Wellness Programs, Educational Assistance, Relocation Assistance, and Employee Discounts.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.