Conducting research for a changing society: This is what drives us at Forschungszentrum Jülich. As a member of the Helmholtz Association, we aim to tackle the grand societal challenges of our time and conduct research into the possibilities of a digitized society, a climate-friendly energy system, and a resource-efficient economy. Work together with around 6,800 employees in one of Europe’s biggest research centres and help us to shape change!
TL;DR: Use HPC on largest computers to optimize NLP workloads within the OpenGPT-X project.
No matter whether you create daily COVID-19 forecasts, simulate the largest climate models or tiniest elementary particles – or you build more natural digital conversational partners able to answer the most complex questions: supercomputers are essential for solving the grand scientific challenges of our time.
Jülich Supercomputer Centre (JSC) operates one of the most advanced supercomputing infrastructures for scientific applications in Europe. Amongst them is the JUWELS Booster, currently Europe’s fastest supercomputer utilizing 3,600 NVIDIA A100 GPUs to achieve more than 70 PFLOP/s performance. The “Accelerating Devices Lab” at JSC bundles GPU-related expertise working tightly together with domain scientists and hardware vendors.
Join our team as soon as possible as a
Research Scientist in High Performance Computing (HPC)
Within the Accelerating Devices Lab and within the OpenGPT-X project, you will use High Performance Computing techniques on GPUs to improve large-scale Machine Learning applications, in particular Natural Language Processing (NLP) models. In more detail you will be:
- Using HPC tools and techniques to optimize scalable training algorithms
- Analyzing, consulting on, and improving training runs using up to the full JUWELS Booster, exploiting the features of the underlying GPU and networking hardware
- Liaising with project partners for hardware-specific consulting
- Identifying key code requirements to assess and procure new hardware for NLP and other ML-related workloads
- Presenting your research at scientific meetings, conferences, and as scientific papers
You are an excellent team player and a curious researcher, knowledgeable within the field of HPC, especially of GPU-accelerated HPC systems. You know how to dig into complex applications and have some experience with ML / DL workloads, ideally by tuning them for performance.
More specifically, your profile is:
- Master’s degree or PhD (preferred) in computer science, mathematics, physics, or a similar field
- Very good command of written / spoken English and ideally a good command of German
- Comprehensive experience using HPC systems as well as parallel / distributed programming with GPUs
- Practical experience in optimizing AI and ML workloads for performance, preferably with special emphasis on NLP models
- A track record of your work in code repositories (open source), scientific workshops, conferences, and other publications
- Self-motivated personality, used to work in a multidisciplinary team and environment – solving scientifically challenging problems on large computers
- You don’t need to check all the boxes above to apply to this position. In the end, your scientific curiosity, self-motivation, and team-spirit are most important to us.
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society at grand scale and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We support you in your work with:
- An exciting and varied role at the frontiers of science in an international and interdisciplinary working environment
- Access to cutting-edge and unique supercomputing systems including large-scale GPU installations and Quantum Computers
- A large research campus with green spaces, offering the best possible means for networking with colleagues and pursuing sports alongside work, as well as options to flexibly work part-time from home
Comprehensive training courses and individual opportunities for personal and professional further development
- Extensive company health management
- Ideal conditions for balancing work and private life as well as a family-friendly corporate policy
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours and 30 days of annual leave
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
The position is initially for a fixed term of three years with possible long-term prospects. Salary and social benefits are in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD).
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations. With us, your personality counts just as much as your skills, regardless of age, origin, gender, sexual identity, disability, or ideology.
We look forward to receiving your application until December 21, 2021 via our Online Recruitment System!
Questions about the vacancy?
Get in touch with us by using our contact form. Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.