The National Center for Computational Sciences (NCCS) in the Computing and Computational Sciences Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory is seeking a Senior level Kubernetes Platform Systems Engineer to play a key role in improving security, performance, and reliability of the NCCS computing infrastructure which supports multiple highly ranked Top500 Supercomputers, including the world’s first exaflop system, Frontier.
In this role you will work in the Infrastructure team within the the HPC Infrastructure and Networking Group to support all activities of our supercomputer center.
- Manage technical services and technical projects, applying advanced knowledge and experience to ensure our Kubernetes platform remains reliable, available, and fast
- Use advanced knowledge and experience, serving as lead or technical professional to identify problems and provide solutions to improve the reliability, scalability, performance, and efficiency of our services
- Provide a lead role in response, investigation and correction of service issues all the way from bare metal through the OS to the application code, including technically complex problems spanning a diverse set of areas
- Contribute as a senior technical resource for the team to define and implement best practices and standards within the organization
- Serve in a technical lead role working vendors to resolve hardware and software problems
- Participate in an on-call rotation providing 24-hour, 7-day support and off-hours maintenance windows
- Serve as a senior technical resource working with scientific and technical users of the NCCS to help them use Kubernetes
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 8 years of relevant technical experience
- 8+ years of experience working as an SRE/Systems Administrator/Systems Engineer
- Excellent interpersonal/communications skills, and the ability to work as part of a team
- Experience with Red Hat OpenShift and appropriate management tools
- Experiencing using image registries such as Quay or Harbor
- Understanding of networked computing environment concepts
- Working knowledge of Unix systems fundamentals and common network protocols
- Ability to develop and maintain programs and scripts that aid in the operation and automation of tasks using various shell and scripting languages (primarily bash, Python, and Go)
- Working knowledge of tools such as Prometheus, Nagios, and Grafana to monitor systems, metrics and create dashboards
- Working knowledge of Infrastructure-as-Code tooling such as Terraform, Helm, and Puppet
- Working knowledge of CI/CD tooling and GitOps
- Experience with code review and familiarity with tools like git, GitHub and GitLab
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
Benefits at ORNL:
ORNL offers competitive pay and benefits programs to attract and retain talented people. The laboratory offers many employee benefits, including medical and retirement plans and flexible work hours, to help you and your family live happy and healthy. Employee amenities such as on-site fitness, banking, and cafeteria facilities are also provided for convenience.
Other benefits include: Prescription Drug Plan, Dental Plan, Vision Plan, 401(k) Retirement Plan, Contributory Pension Plan, Life Insurance, Disability Benefits, Generous Vacation and Holidays, Parental Leave, Legal Insurance with Identity Theft Protection, Employee Assistance Plan, Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts, Wellness Programs, Educational Assistance, Relocation Assistance, and Employee Discounts.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.