Conducting research for a changing society: This is what drives us at Forschungszentrum Jülich. As a member of the Helmholtz Association, we aim to tackle the grand societal challenges of our time and conduct research into the possibilities of a digitized society, a climate-friendly energy system, and a resource-efficient economy. Work together with around 7,100 employees in one of Europe’s biggest research centres and help us to shape change!
The Jülich Supercomputer Centre (JSC) operates one of the most advanced supercomputing infrastructures for scientific applications in Europe and makes it available for research purposes to scientists at Forschungszentrum Jülich, in Germany, and throughout Europe. The research group “Software for Modular Supercomputers” develops critical software components for the operation and use of modular supercomputers, working tightly together with domain scientists and industry partners. In collaboration with our ATML (Algorithm, Tools, and Methods Lab) “Application Optimization and User Service Tools” applications are optimized and scaled in terms of performance, efficiency, and parallel I/O. We provide users with the knowledge and proper tool sets for their work on the Jülich HPC systems.
We are looking to recruit a
Software Developer for Application Optimization and Codesign of New Computer Architectures
You will be responsible to port and optimize simulation software on heterogeneous, modular supercomputers, in direct contact and collaboration with the code developers. Your work will include:
- Analysis of simulation applications in close collaboration with their developers
- Identification of optimization potential with focus on architecture-specific optimization strategies aiming at scaling and/or performance improvements
- Implementation of specific code changes in existing applications, and also coordination of your work with the application developers, supporting them in performing software adaptations
- Benchmarking on production systems and hardware prototypes as well as analysis of results
- Identification of performance bottlenecks and specific codesign requirements, feeding them back to hardware and software developers
- Installation of software libraries and tools
- Presentation / Publication of results in collaboration meetings, workshops, and conferences as well as the preparation of project reports
- University degree (Master or Diplom [Univ.]) in physics, computer science, mathematics, or in a natural science; a PhD degree is of advantage
- Great ability to work in a multidisciplinary team of scientists with heterogeneous backgrounds solving scientifically challenging problems on large computers
- Good knowledge of computer architecture and understanding of its impact on application performance
- Comprehensive experience in application software development for HPC systems as well as parallel / distributed computing with CPUs and GPUs, including parallel programming (MPI, OpenMP), use of profiling and performance analysis tools, etc.
- Programming and modern software engineering skills (C / C++, Fortran, Python, Git, SVN, etc.)
- Firm experience in the usage of a Unix-based operating system
- Self-motivated personality with very good command of written / spoken English
- Desirable: German language and background on Earth System Modelling (ESM)-related sciences
You don’t need to check all the boxes above to apply to this position. Your scientific curiosity, self-motivation, and team spirit are most important to us.
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We support you in your work with:
- A large research campus with green spaces, offering the best possible means for networking with colleagues and pursuing sports alongside work
- Access to cutting-edge and unique supercomputing systems including large-scale GPU installations and quantum computers
- Comprehensive training courses and individual opportunities for personal and professional further development
- Extensive company health management
- Ideal conditions for balancing work and private life, as well as a family-friendly corporate policy
- Flexible working hours in a full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours
- Flexible work (location) arrangements, e.g. remote work
- 30 days of annual leave and provision for days off between public holidays and weekends (e.g. between Christmas and New Year)
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
We offer you an exciting and varied role in an international and interdisciplinary working environment. The position is initially for a fixed term of two years with possible long-term prospects. Salary and social benefits will conform to the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) depending on the applicant’s qualifications and the precise nature of the tasks assigned to them.
We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e.g. in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation / identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities in which everyone can realize their potential is important to us.
We look forward to receiving your application until September 30, 2022, via our Online Recruitment System!
Questions about the vacancy?
Please feel free to contact us via our contact form. Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.