Context And Mission
The Language Technologies Unit at BSC has a consolidated experience in several NLP areas, such as massive language model building, biomedical text mining, machine translation and unsupervised learning for under-resourced languages and domains. It has been entrusted by the Spanish and the Catalan government with the mission to develop essential open-source resources and technologies for Spanish and Catalan. In connection with this, the LT Unit is currently in charge of two flagship projects at the national and regional level: the Spanish National Language Technology Plan, funded by the Spanish Secretariat of Digitalisation and Artificial Intelligence, and the AINA project, aimed at developing AI resources for Catalan, funded by the Catalan Digitalisation Department. In addition, the Unit participates in various EU-funded international projects.
The LT Unit at BSC is looking for a Machine Learning engineer with experience in Machine Translation and possibly in other areas of Natural Language and Speech Processing.
The successful candidate will work in a highly sophisticated HPC environment, have access to state-of-the-art systems and computational infrastructures, and establish collaborations with experts in different areas at the local and international levels.
Prepare translation model training in HPC clusters
Ensure the quality of the models
Document and publish the models on open platforms
Apply for research projects
Write research papers
Degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications, Applied linguistics or related disciplines
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Demonstrated experience in deep learning frameworks and in Machine Translation, and other relevant areas.
- Knowledge of version control tools and MLOps best practices
- Native or good level of spoken and written English
Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Demonstrated experience in developing open-source software and resources
- Native or good level of spoken and written Catalan and/or Spanish
- Strong understanding of linguistic concepts.
- Ability to work independently and in a team to complete tasks on schedule.
- Ability to work under set deadlines
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Open-ended contract due to technical and scientific activities linked to the project and budget duration
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: asap