Context And Mission
The Language Technologies Unit at BSC has a consolidated experience in several NLP areas, such as massive language model building, biomedical text mining, machine translation and unsupervised learning for under-resourced languages and domains. It has been entrusted by the Spanish and the Catalan government to develop fundamental open-source resources and technologies for Spanish and Catalan. In connection with this, the LT Unit is currently in charge of two flagship projects at the national and regional level: the Spanish National Language Technology Plan, funded by the Spanish Secretariat of Digitalisation and Artificial Intelligence, and the AINA project, aimed at developing AI resources for Catalan, funded by the Catalan Digitalisation Department. In addition, the Unit participates in various EU-funded international projects.
The LT Unit at BSC is looking for a Machine Learning engineer with experience in Speech Technologies, specifically in Deep Learning and model building for tasks such as speech recognition, synthesis and translation.
The successful candidate will become a part of the speech technologies sub-group, work in a highly sophisticated HPC environment, have access to state-of-the-art systems and computational infrastructures, and establish collaborations with experts in different areas both at the local and international levels.
- Design and implement deep learning models for speech-related tasks.
- Prepare model training in HPC clusters.
- Ensure the quality of the models.
- Optimize ML model performance and scalability.
- Document and publish the models on open platforms.
- Apply for research projects.
- Write research papers.
- Mentor junior ML engineers.
- Degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications, Applied linguistics or related disciplines
- Having a Master’s degree will be valued.
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Demonstrated experience of at least 3 years in deep learning frameworks and in the relevant area(s).
- Demonstrated experience in speech and audio processing.
- Knowledge of version control tools and MLOps best practices.
- Native or good level of spoken and written English.
- Additional Knowledge and Professional ExperienceDemonstrated experience in developing open-source software and resources.
- Demonstrated experience in working in dynamic ML teams.
- Native or good level of spoken and written Catalan and/or Spanish.
- Strong understanding of linguistic concepts.
- Ability to work independently and in a team to complete tasks on schedule.
- Ability to work under set deadlines.
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Open-ended contract due to technical and scientific activities linked to the project and budget duration
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: asap