Colourful People is looking for a Group Manager for Astron
Dwingeloo | The Netherlands | Full Time
Reach for the stars and join our client ASTRON’s bold mission to make discoveries in radio astronomy happen. As a Group Manager you become part of the ASTRON universe to contribute to exiting new research on near and distant galaxies.
The main drive for our astronomers is curiosity about the structure, history and origin of the universe, galaxies, and the stars and planets in it. At ASTRON we use the best radio telescopes in the world, the Westerbork Synthesis Radio Telescope and LOFAR. Our teams are involved in ground braking global scientific projects.
As a Group Manager you will be working in a diverse team with PhD students, postdoctoral researchers, and the best staff astronomers of the country and the world. Moreover, at ASTRON they constantly push the boundaries of what is technologically possible to make discoveries in radio astronomy happen. Working at ASTRON everyone is constantly at the forefront of innovation. Innovations derived from our work benefits the (regional) industry, and ultimately society as a whole.
The ASTRON offices are situated in a fantastic area, which happens to be in the middle of a beautiful natural park. The ASTRON premises is a place where you are surrounded by stunning scenery, which makes the lunch walks we have feel like a vacation and where you often have the view of hares and deer grazing around the building.
Your team at ASTRON: the Smart Backend Group
With three major developments highly relevant to the Smart Backend Group, we offer challenging work and exciting projects ahead. This includes the realization of a Science Data Centre (SDC), a major upgrade of the International LOFAR telescope and contributing to the realization of the SKA telescope in collaboration with a team of industry partners.
The Smart Backend group plays a central role in these endeavours, collaborating with the Smart Frontend group, the Software Delivery group, internal and external astronomers, and the group responsible for telescope operations.
As the Group Manager, you will be responsible for managing and inspiring our Smart Backend team of around twenty researchers, engineers, and scientific software developers. The department consists of five groups that together are responsible for all technological innovation within ASTRON: from antenna design to monitoring and control software for our telescopes, from system engineering to data processing and analysis tools.
You will be responsible for the strategic and tactical direction of the group, including methodology, expertise, and way of working, now and in the future. Furthermore you:
- Initiate and coordinate innovation via the Technology Roadmap;
- Organize strategic collaborations with external industry and science partners;
- ssist in the acquisition of new projects in line with our ambition;
- Are responsible for the operational aspects of the group, including financial management, resource planning, and people management;
- Work closely with the other Group Managers and program managers to decide together on actions and decisions, with short lines to the ASTRON Management Team;
- Actively participate in the I&S management team, which is responsible for all technological innovation within ASTRON.
An inclusive workplace
ASTRON is committed to increasing its staff diversity and is continuously working to creating a safe and inclusive workplace. NWO-I and ASTRON strive for a diverse workforce: we want to develop talent and creativity by bringing together people from different backgrounds and cultures. We recruit and select based on competencies and talents. Therefore, we encourage anyone who identifies with the vacancy, regardless of age, gender, origin, orientation or disability, to respond.
As a Group Manager you are a strong strategic thinker who enjoys working with highly skilled and motivated scientific computing and digital signal processing experts, towards a shared vision, making significant impact. As you are a strong communicator you enjoy being the link that connects R&D groups, operational staff, and astronomers, as to ensure the group’s success and maximize expertise. Furthermore you bring:
- A Master’s degree or PhD;
- Working experience in computing science or comparable experience, preferably in the areas of scientific algorithms, high-performance computing, or software engineering;
- The ability to communicate effectively and establish collaboration is a must;
- You have experience in a leading position in a high-tech or scientific development environment and a strong ambition to coach your team to excel in solving the hardest and most urgent bottlenecks in data processing;
- A keen eye for the latest technologies and a drive to assess them on their feasibility in cutting-edge scientific problems;
- Also, you show proactive initiatives, take ownership, and demonstrate your creativity;
- You speak Dutch at B2 level or are willing to learn it.
At ASTRON you will find an inspiring, innovative, pleasant, and challenging working environment with an international and inclusive work culture. On top of this we offer:
- The combination of astronomy, operations and engineering in the same building;
- The opportunity and the facilities to grow and develop yourself in this position;
- A 32- 38 hours/ week temporary appointment in the service of the Netherlands Foundation of Scientific Research Institutes (NWO-I) for the duration of in total 2 years which will become permanent based on good performance;
- A gross monthly salary on a full-time basis, in the range of € 5.657,- to € 6.890,- depending on relevant experience;
- A holiday allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.33% of the gross annual salary;
- A good package of benefits like pension plan, discount on health insurance and travel expenses scheme;
- Flexible working conditions of employment, tailored to your personal situation, generous relocation expenses and support with finding accommodation and support to find a suitable job for your partner;
- The terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement Research Institutions.
ASTRON is supported for this position by executive search agency Colourful People. For more information, please contact Henna Seedorf, Partner at Colourful People, on 06-24274368. You can apply by uploading your motivation letter and CV through the Colourful People website. The deadline is 11 December’23 and pre-selection will take place 12th – 14th December’23. 1st and 2nd round interviews from 11th – 18th January ’24 An assessment can be part of the application procedure.
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated