Context And Mission
The Department of Earth Sciences of the Barcelona Supercomputing Centre-Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS), BSC-ES henceforth (bsc.es/earth-sciences) is one of the most active groups in air quality and atmospheric composition modeling, climate prediction and climate services in Europe. The department is currently composed of about 120 people, including scientists and technical and support staff, and is structured in four distinct but interacting research groups: Atmospheric Composition (AC), Climate Prediction, Earth System Services (ESS), and Computational Earth Sciences.
The candidate will work in the ESS group. The ESS group develops climate and air quality services, facilitating knowledge and technology transfer of state-of-the-art research at local, national, and international levels. The main purpose is to demonstrate the ongoing value of climate prediction services, atmospheric composition, and weather forecasting to society and key sectors of the economy, such as renewable energy, urban development, infrastructure, transport, insurance, health, and agriculture.
The group hosts air quality and climate researchers, research engineers, physicists, social scientists, economists, epidemiologists, and communication experts who work to bring the latest developments in earth sciences to society. ESS has an interdisciplinary approach with several lines of expertise working together and collaborating with the other research groups within the Earth Sciences Department.
Cutting-edge operational forecast services on climate, air quality and airborne dust are created by ESS via collaboration with public administration, from our involvement as leaders in multinational partnerships, as well as through private contracts with companies willing to exploit the opportunities that arise from disposing of information on future climate and air quality. Close collaboration with stakeholders pioneering the application of this knowledge in their operative decisions is essential to foster adaptation to climate change and move towards a more resilient and sustainable society.
The ESS is looking for a postdoc in air quality/atmospheric composition/meteorology modeling willing to do research and provide user-tailored products for different air quality-related projects. The position will support the developments to set up this system and will face different and state-of-the-art technologies. Successful candidates will benefit from the training program and BSC-CNS staff benefits: an international multidisciplinary scientific environment, advanced research training, and advanced computational facilities. We encourage applications from highly motivated physicists, engineers, and mathematicians (and related disciplines) with outstanding qualifications.
- Implementation, execution and monitoring of atmospheric numerical models (e.g. MONARCH) in a High
- Performance Computing environment.
- Analyse and evaluate model results against observations, prepare charts and reports of the results.
- Perform innovative user-oriented research, interact with users and facilitate technology transfer.
- Work together with atmospheric composition scientist and IT developers.
- Communicate scientific results within the Department, in international conferences and write quality papers in scientific publications.
- Involvement in the preparation of competitive grants and projects.
- PhD in Meteorology/Environmental Engineering or related disciplines.
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Experience in air quality and meteorological models and related analysis software.
- Ability to work in a professional environment and within a multidisciplinary research team.
- Demonstrated verbal communication and technical presentation skills (English is a must).
- Experience in statistical methods and previous skills in R and/or Python
Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Computing skills in high-level computer languages (especially FORTRAN 77/90 and C) and experience with UNIX/LINUX environments.
- Experience in data formats (NetCDF, GRIB, HFD5) and tools (CDO, NCO) used in Earth sciences.
- Experience in air quality planning and/or dust modeling will be valued.
- Previous experience in model development and application in parallel computing environments will be valued.
- Willing to travel.
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in other European languages will be also valued.
- The position will be located at BSC within the Earth Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, restaurant tickets, private health insurance, support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Open-ended contract due to technical and scientific activities linked to the project and budget duration
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: asap