Context And Mission
The Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC) www.bsc.es is embarking on an umbrella of large-scale projects to contribute in the BSCs next generation supercomputer, the Marenostrum 6 (MN6), which will be operational in 2028/2029. In this ambitious and potentially rewarding endeavor, we need engineers and computer scientists at all levels of expertise (from 0 to 20+ years) and in both software and hardware fields. The final team will be around 100 engineers and scientists. The applicants would ideally have experience/ambition in at least one or more of the following fields:
· System software (operating system), including the development of new Linux services, tools, and drivers. Service visualization and containerization. Good understanding of the Linux kernel.
· Compilers, including the development of the LLVM compiler to target new features and/or optimizations (aimed at improving the performance of applications that are currently exploiting the RISC-V ISA).
· Parallel libraries and runtimes, including the development of new features and extensions in parallel library/runtime’s systems for HPC programming models (e.g., MPI, OpenMP, SyCL), and workflow executions (e.g., COMPSs).
· Parallel numerical frameworks, including the use and development of numerical libraries (e.g., BLIS, OpenBLAS), and data analytic frameworks (e.g., Pythorch, Tensor Flow).
· HPC analysis, including the performance analysis of HPC applications, as well as the development of new tools (e.g., Extrae/Paraver) and benchmarks that may help to characterize the system behavior.
· HPC application engineering, including the understanding of actual scientific HPC applications (usually written in C/C++ and Fortran), and the development of modifications/extensions that may improve their performance.
· HPC resource awareness, including a good understanding of the underlying resource utilization and management in terms of nodes, processors, and memory (e.g., Slurm, DLB, Elasticity, DMRLib,…).
· Hardware engineering, including processor architecture and micro-architecture, accelerators, memory hierarchy, memory controllers, HBM, FPGA’s, RTL design, VHDL, verilog, System C, System Verilog, place and route, timing closure, verification, validation, CI, post-silicon debug, DFT, and gate-level simulation
– Junior profiles: BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering. Previous industrial experience is a big plus.
– Mid-level profiles: PhD in Computer Sciences, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering.
– Senior profiles: PhD in Computer Sciences, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering.
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
– Junior profiles: Experience in industry is a big plus.
– Mid-level profiles: 5+ year experience in industry in a leading role.
– Senior profiles: 10-20+ years in industry in a leading role.
Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
– Fluency in English is essential, Spanish is optional (free lessons available after joining)
– Opportunity to enroll in Master or PhD program of UPC Computer Architecture Department.
– Planification and Organization
– Ability to work individually and in a team
The position will be located at BSC within the Computer Sciences Department
We offer a full-time contract (37.5h/week), a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, restaurant tickets, private health insurance, support to the relocation procedures
Duration: Open-ended contract due to technical and scientific activities linked to the project and budget duration
Holidays: 23 paid vacation days plus 24th and 31st of December per our collective agreement
Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
Starting date: asap