Context And Mission
The Earth Sciences Department of Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC-ES) led by Prof Francisco Doblas-Reyes develops, among other research tools, global climate models to perform a range of climate experiments at storm and eddy-resolving spatial resolutions. These tools have opened a very exciting path to revisit properties of the climate system such as climate predictability at subseasonal to decadal time scales.
This position aims at exploring the relative merits of this new category of models to predict regional aspects of climate, including the best way to initialise them, the necessary adaptations to the experimental set up to cope with limited computational resources and the processes that could act as new sources of forecast skill.
- Conduct numerical simulations to estimate model predictability, analysing the sources of predictability and key model errors through a process-based perspective.
- Explore the challenges that model initialisation poses at storm- and eddy-resolving resolutions.
- Access and analyse the set of equivalent multi-model simulations publicly available to test the robustness of the conclusions reached.
- PhD in computer atmospheric, ocean or climate sciences, applied mathematics or any related discipline.
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Experience in working with numerical models of both the ocean and the atmosphere.
- Experience in climate analysis and climate predictability is necessary, and theoretical understanding of climate dynamics will be valued.
- Experience in using HPC architectures and coding with scripting languages will be valued.
- Experience with version control systems (e.g., SVN or Git) will be valued.
- Fluency in English
- Ability to take initiatives, prioritise and work under set deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The position will be located at BSC within the Earth Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, restaurant tickets, private health insurance, support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Open-ended contract due to technical and scientific activities linked to the project and budget duration
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: Asap