Context And Mission
The Language Technologies Unit at BSC has a consolidated experience in several NLP areas, such as massive language model building, biomedical text mining,
Machine translation and unsupervised learning for under-resourced languages and domains. It has been entrusted by the Spanish and the Catalan government with the mission to develop fundamental open-source resources and technologies for Spanish and Catalan. It also participates in several European-funded research projects in NLP and MT. The LT Unit at BSC is looking for a Machine Learning engineer with experience in Language Technologies, specifically in Deep Learning and Social Media Analysis.
The successful candidate will work in a highly sophisticated HPC environment, have access to state-of-the-art systems and computational infrastructures, and establish collaborations with experts in different areas at the local and international levels. They will mainly work on a new European research project (Critical Action Planning over Extreme-Scale Data – CREXDATA), specifically applying multilingual language models for handling disaster-related social media data for emergency response in real-time.
- Work as main researcher in the CREXDATA project
- Apply for research projects
- Write research papers
Degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications, Applied linguistics or related discipline.
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Demonstrated experience in deep learning frameworks and in the relevant area(s).
- Programming skills (Python, etc.)
- Knowledge on version control tools, and MLOps best practices
- Good level of spoken and written English
- Social network analysis and Natural Language Processing
Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Demonstrated experience in developing open source software and resources
- Proficiency in other languages besides English
- Good understanding of linguistic concepts.
- CompetencesAbility to work independently and in a team to complete tasks on schedule.
- Ability to work under set deadlines
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, restaurant tickets, private health insurance, support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Open-ended contract due to technical and scientific activities linked to the project and budget duration
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: 01/04/2023