Conducting research for a changing society: This is what drives us at Forschungszentrum Jülich. As a member of the Helmholtz Association, we aim to tackle the grand societal challenges of our time and conduct research into the possibilities of a digitized society, a climate-friendly energy system, and a resource-efficient economy. Work together with around 7,250 employees in one of Europe’s biggest research centres and help us to shape change!
Are you a researcher in computer science, engineering, physics, or math? Have you applied AI techniques in your field? And are you interested to apply your skills to develop cutting-edge AI solutions for weather and climate applications? Then we might have an attractive job offer for you. Our research group Earth System Data Exploration (ESDE) is teaming up with our Lab on Applied Machine Learning to seek new applications for AI on atmospheric data. We jointly develop innovative approaches to advance this new and emerging research field. At the Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC), we operate one of the most powerful supercomputer infrastructures for scientific and engineering applications in Europe and we are using these resources to train large-scale AI models. Our Lab on Applied Machine Learning develops new machine learning (ML) applications for science. We identify exciting data sets, develop interesting research questions, train powerful models, and try to push further what is possible with AI.
Join our team as soon as possible as a
Postdoc – Artificial Intelligence in Earth System Science
In this position, you will be an active part of our ESDE research group and of our Lab on Applied Machine Learning. Together with our national and international partners, we develop new, innovative applications of ML. You will connect to scientists and investigate possible applications of ML in earth system science. You will be part of a large and growing network of scientific AI experts and you will be involved in all phases of the design process. You will
- Identify new applications for ML in weather and climate science
- Develop, implement, refine, and optimize ML techniques
- Implement parallel ML training on the high-performance computers
- Engage in national and international ML / deep learning (DL) communities, including WestAI, AtmoRep (https://www.atmorep.org/) and the Helmholtz Artificial Intelligence Cooperation Unit (https://www.helmholtz.ai/)
- Present research results at scientific meetings, conferences, and as scientific papers
- Consult and support other scientists with respect to scientific AI applications
- Contribute to educational events, such as courses and hackathons
- Excellent master’s or preferably PhD degree in computer science, mathematics, physics, or a similar field
- Very good knowledge in AI and applied ML
- Practical experience with high-performance computing systems, parallel / distributed programming and solid UNIX skills
- Practical experience with ML / DL workflows and common software libraries
- Your experience should be documented in research papers and open source code projects
- Interest in scientific topics, especially related to weather and climate
- Self-motivated personality, curiosity of working in a multi-disciplinary team environment on scientifically challenging problems
- Very good command of written and spoken English
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We support you in your work with:
- A large research campus with green spaces, offering the best possible means for networking with colleagues and pursuing sports alongside work
- Work on frontiers of scientific and technological challenges with access to cutting-edge and unique supercomputing systems including the upcoming first exascale computer in Europe
- Comprehensive training offers and individual opportunities for personal and professional development
Extensive company health management
- Ideal conditions for balancing work and private life, as well as a family-friendly corporate policy
- Flexible working hours in a full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours
- Flexible work (location) arrangements, e.g. partly remote work
- 30 days of annual leave and provision for days off between public holidays and weekends (e.g. between Christmas and New Year)
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
We offer you an exciting and varied role in an international and interdisciplinary working environment. The position is initially for a fixed term of two years with possible long-term prospects. Salary and social benefits will conform to the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) depending on the applicant’s qualifications and the precise nature of the tasks assigned to them.
In addition to exciting tasks and a collaborative working atmosphere at Jülich, we have a lot more to offer: https://go.fzj.de/benefits.
We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e.g. in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation / identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities, in which everyone can realize their potential, is important to us.
We look forward to receiving your application. The job will be advertised until the position has been successfully filled. You should therefore submit your application as soon as possible via our Online Recruitment System! https://www.fz-juelich.de/en/careers/jobs/2023-118
Questions about the Offer?
Please feel free to contact us via our contact form: https://www.fz-juelich.de/en/careers/jobs/2023-118?contact
Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.
# 6 BEST EMPLOYERS IN GERMANY 2023