The National Center for Computational Sciences (NCCS) in the Computing and Computational Sciences Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory is seeking highly qualified individuals to lead, manage, and oversee a cross-cutting group of network engineers responsible for administering and maintaining the required hardware and services necessary to meet the unique networking needs for all projects and programs housed within the NCCS. This role will focus on aspects related to network architecture, routing, switching, network security, troubleshooting/support, data analysis and monitoring.
We are seeking a self-starter with a strong background in High-Performance Computing environments, and a clear demonstration of effective leadership skills and the ability to prioritize and delegate responsibilities effectively. We are looking for someone with exceptional communication and reporting skills, along with the ability to thrive in a high-pressure and deadline-driven workplace.
As a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science national laboratory, ORNL has an extraordinary 80-year history of solving the nation’s biggest problems. We have a dedicated and creative staff of over 6,000 people! Our vision for diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) is to cultivate an environment and practices that foster diversity in ideas and in the people across the organization, as well as to ensure ORNL is recognized as a workplace of choice. These elements are critical for enabling the execution of ORNL’s broader mission to accelerate scientific discoveries and their translation into energy, environment, and security solutions for the nation.
- Manage a group of 6+ network engineers and administrators responsible for addressing the unique networking needs of the NCCS and the various projects/programs supported within the organization with the goal of achieving and maintaining very high levels of uptime and readiness for critical services, while doing so from a position of forward-thinking and strategy in an ever-evolving environment. The individual will also be responsible for overseeing efforts related to data analysis, monitoring, network design, implementation, troubleshooting, network security, and support—with an effort to further streamline and enhance a number of operational aspects of the NCCS’ programs and partnerships.
- Responsible for all aspects of personnel management (recruiting, interviewing, hiring, onboarding, mentoring, coaching, performance, conflict resolution, etc.)
- Conduct staff meetings and/or project-related meetings with all necessary stakeholders on a regular basis
- Conduct one-on-one meetings with all staff members on a regular, recurring basis (every week preferable) to ensure forward progress, tracking of performance / project goals, and foster career development efforts.
- Collaborate with other groups/teams within the NCCS as needed in order to meet division and/or mission goals efficiently, on-time, and within budget
- Report progress, provide insight and recommendations to upper management and other groups within NCCS related to the pursuit of mission objectives – particularly a forward-thinking, proactive strategy related to the unique networking needs of the NCCS.
- Manage and forecast budget/expenses related to hardware and software procurements, maintenance, and travel
- Oversee and participate in the design and development or deployment of new networking hardware, using industry and NCCS standard practices
- Oversee and participate in the updates to and/or creation of NCCS network policies/procedures.
- Ensure through periodic assessments and reviews that cyber security policies are adhered to within the NCCS.
- Ensure that all work is done in adherence to ORNL/Lab safety standards and policies.
- Basic Requirements:
Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 8 years of directly applicable experience, or an Associate’s Degree and a minimum of 10 years of directly applicable experience. Degree area should be in a computing or engineering related field.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a leadership position (either direct line-management or technical team leadership)
- Experience in coaching, mentoring, and developing direct reports to meet full potential
- Ability to lead a team through technical disagreements in order to find the best overall solution
- Strong understanding of network administration and network security concepts, best practices, and tools.
- Solid understanding of networked computing environment concepts
- Ability to communicate effectively and work well in a team environment
- Experience deploying and maintaining multi-vendor network environments
- Experience in a high-performance computing environment
- Experience in NX-OS, CatOS, Dell DNOS, AOS, EOS, and Cumulus Linux
- Experience with automated configuration management tools such as Puppet or Ansible
- Experience in network architecture and design
- Familiarity with common protocols such as: DNS, DHCP, SNMP, HTTP, SSL, OSPF, BGP, TCP/UDP,
- Ability to perform under pressure and in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Experience with interpreting, writing, and implementing network security policy
Benefits at ORNL:
ORNL offers competitive pay and benefits programs to attract and retain talented people. The laboratory offers many employee benefits, including medical and retirement plans and flexible work hours, to help you and your family live happy and healthy. Employee amenities such as on-site fitness, banking, and cafeteria facilities are also provided for convenience.
Other benefits include the following: Prescription Drug Plan, Dental Plan, Vision Plan, 401(k) Retirement Plan, Contributory Pension Plan, Life Insurance, Disability Benefits, Generous Vacation and Holidays, Parental Leave, Legal Insurance with Identity Theft Protection, Employee Assistance Plan, Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts, Wellness Programs, Educational Assistance, Relocation Assistance, and Employee Discounts.
If you have difficulty using the online application system or need an accommodation to apply due to a disability, please email: ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov or call 1.866.963.9545.