How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should:
Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position.
Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
This position will be filled at the Senior level ($84,153 – $102,854). Starting salary and position are dependent upon the qualifications and experience.
The Advanced Research Computing organization at the University of Michigan has an exciting opportunity for a High Performance Computing (HPC) System Administrator. ARC has an impact on some of the most interesting challenges we have today such as machine learning, drug discovery, simulation of galaxies and many others.
We are looking for an experienced Linux systems administrator. This position will report to the HPC Systems Manager and will be responsible for building, operating, and supporting research high-performance computing (HPC) clusters and ancillary support systems such as high-speed storage and networking, databases, networking gateways, etc. We utilize many services to provide the HPC clusters to our research community, and this position will become responsible for some of these services, as needs and expertise allow. Examples of this could include time-series databases, system monitoring and logging, web-based job submissions, etc.
The successful candidate will have the ability to work on specific project initiatives and provide expertise and guidance to various collaborating team members. This role will be dynamic to meet the changing requirements for building and supporting new and innovative systems to meet faculty needs.
For more information about ARC-, please visit our website at https://arc.umich.edu/.
Research Services and Support:
- Maintain and upgrade ARC HPC clusters.
- Maintain and upgrade ARC ancillary services.
- Monitor system health and performance.
- Contribute to the development of internal HPC-related documentation, guidelines, and training materials.
- Support ARC users via ticket system.
- Writing and updating user-facing documentation.
- Collaboration and Research.
- Work with other ARC and ARC-affiliated persons to support computational research around the University.
- Continuously evaluate and stay updated on emerging HPC technologies, platforms, and best practices.
- Mentor junior team members and provide guidance on HPC best practices and techniques.Required Qualifications*
- Strong understanding of bash/shell, and one of Python or Go.
- 7 or more years in a production Linux environment.
- Strong understanding of configuration management and system provisioning methods and tools.
- Strong understanding of security practices in a shared environment.
- Understand Unix/Linux TCP/IP networking.
- Understanding of SQL.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to creatively improve workflows and processes.
- Exceptional problem-solving abilities, with a focus on addressing diverse challenges in Linux environments.
- Ability to manage priorities in face of multiple requests and projects.
- Ability to self direct as well as participate in a larger distributed support structure.Desired Qualifications*
- Familiar with batch computing environments (Slurm, Torque, etc.).
- Experience with installing Linux kernel modules.
- Experience with automated system loading and configuration management (Kickstart, Ansible, X-Cat, etc.).
- Experience providing IT support in an academic environment.
- Experience with Cloud APIs and methods (AWS, Azure, OpenStack).
- Experience with Elasticsearch and Logstash.
- Experience with GPU Accelerators.
- Familiar with any of C/C++, MATLAB, Fortran, R, CUDA, or OpenACC.Additional Information
WORK SCHEDULES AND ENVIRONMENT
M-F business hours. May require on-call availability and may require working during non-business hours and on weekends.
Work is primarily remote (the team you will be working with is all remote, but there are options for office space should that be your preference). Position will require travel to our data centers in Ann Arbor to address, as well as any in-person meetings.
Must live within 1 hour of the Ann Arbor, Michigan data centers to resolve onsite arising issues.
This position may work with and/or support systems that maintain or process sensitive institutional data as defined by university policy. Successful candidates must comply with federal, state and local law and/or university policies or agreements that require the university to implement specific privacy and security safeguards including, but not limited to: ITAR, EAR, HIPAA and FISMA. Responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration or unauthorized deletion; and, following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement.
Candidate will routinely move throughout the office/building environment and lift equipment weighing up to 50 pounds for various professional working needs. They must also operate a computer to complete work and tasks.
Staff members are required to provide and maintain his or her own high-speed residential Internet connectivity services.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits/
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.